Thursday, September 17, 2009

NEW SPAM!

As much spam as I get, I rarely see anything really new. This, however, is
something I haven't seen before.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Notice of Underreported Income
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:39:16 -0300
From: "Internal Revenue Service" <no-reply@irs.gov>
To: XXXXXXXX


Taxpayer ID: tom-00000174073547US
Tax Type: INCOME TAX
Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)
Please review your tax statement on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website
(click on the link below):
review tax statement for taxpayer id: tom-00000174073547US
Internal Revenue Service

The kicker is that the link takes you to
http://www.irs.gov.hyu11dn.me/fraud_application/directory/statement.php...........

Point 1:
This is why I covered URLs in class. Notice the domain - it ends in .me,
which is strictly used for PERSONAL domains (as in "me". Get it?). But if
you didn't KNOW about domains, you might be tricked into clicking it, thing
that it really did come from the IRS - hey, it says irs.gov, right?

Point 2:
How did I know where the domain would take me? At the bottom of your web
browser is a status bar (if it's hidden, show it!). I just put the cursor
over the link and looked at the status bar, which shows me what URL the
link would send me to.

Be careful out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home